Forum Alykon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How about some help on speaking Greek?

+2
big rab
makavelli
6 posters

Go down

How about some help on speaking Greek? Empty How about some help on speaking Greek?

Post  makavelli Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm

I have tried and failed on too many occasions to pick up even the most simple greek words and phrases.

How about we have a thread where people can pass on tips, courses or useful websites that teach Greek language, or maybe people can put up the words and phrases that they know so that the likes of me can pick up a bit of the lingo.

I'll start with the only word Nikos at ABS has taught me - Malaka!
makavelli
makavelli

http://wce.co.uk

Back to top Go down

How about some help on speaking Greek? Empty Re: How about some help on speaking Greek?

Post  big rab Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:01 pm

not sure if this is any good but here are a few phrases.

Efharisto = Thank you

Parakalo = Your Welcome

Milate Anglika? = Do you speak English?

Milate Yermanika? = Do you speak German?

Then katalaveno = I don't understand

Pos se lene? = What is your name?

Me lene ... = My name is ...

Apo pou eisai? = Where are you from?

Eimai apo Anglia = I am from England

Thelo ena kafe = I want a coffee

Thelo ena tsai = I want a tea

Thelo mia mpira = I want a beer

Thelo ena poto = I want a drink

Thelo ena thomatio = I want a room

Ehete thomatio? = Do you have a room?

ya mia mera = for one day

ya thio meres = for two days

ya mia vthomatha = for one week

ya thio vthomathes = for two weeks
Poso kanei? = How much is it?

Poso hrostao = How much do I owe?

Logariasmo parakalo = The bill, please.

Mporo na bgalo mia fotografia? = May I take a photo?

Ela = Come

Fiye = Go away! (fi as in fish, ye as in yellow)

Ise omorfi = you are beautiful

M' areseis = I like you

S' agapo = I love you

M' agapas? = Do you love me?

Agapi mou = My love, Darling

Filise me = kiss me

Fili = kiss

Filos / F ili = friend (male) / (female). Pay attention to the small difference from "kiss".

Eho filo = I have a boyfriend

Eimai pantremeni = I am married (female)

big rab

Back to top Go down

How about some help on speaking Greek? Empty Keep it up.

Post  big tony Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Great thread, sure it will expand over the coming months !
big tony
big tony

Back to top Go down

How about some help on speaking Greek? Empty Re: How about some help on speaking Greek?

Post  makavelli Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:19 pm

That's great Rab - thanks!

I could probably do with a bit of help with the pronunciation tho Embarassed
makavelli
makavelli

http://wce.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  big rab Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm

makavelli wrote:I have tried and failed on too many occasions to pick up even the most simple greek words and phrases.

How about we have a thread where people can pass on tips, courses or useful websites that teach Greek language, or maybe people can put up the words and phrases that they know so that the likes of me can pick up a bit of the lingo.

I'll start with the only word Nikos at ABS has taught me - Malaka!

ha ha ha here is an addition to it pusti malaka study

big rab

Back to top Go down

Post  arthurh Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:07 pm

I know what malaka means - but what is pushti? genuine question, have wondered for years, pm if too rude!!! Laughing

arthurh

Back to top Go down

Post  Shortie Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm

It means Gay or as we would put it Poofta. Did someone call you this Arthur!! Don't stand for it.
Shortie
Shortie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  big rab Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:42 pm

Shortie wrote:It means Gay or as we would put it Poofta. Did someone call you this Arthur!! Don't stand for it.

ha ha brings a new meaning to the gay gordons but pusti malaka is unprintable on here from what greek friends say to me ask a local and pm me the correct dialogue please

big rab

Back to top Go down

Post  big rab Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:33 pm

arthurh wrote:I know what malaka means - but what is pushti? genuine question, have wondered for years, pm if too rude!!! Laughing

hmmmm seems we have the same translation....got your pm minus the adidas ads lol
by the way you can always reply with something simple if someone says pusti malaka to you just reply "bah-kah-yah-ro" cheers

big rab

Back to top Go down

Post  arthurh Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:27 pm

Yes Shortie, someone did say this to me many years ago, and I always wondered what it meant! Thanks to big Rab, now I know! Laughing

arthurh

Back to top Go down

Post  Zen Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:27 pm

OK got the swearing started, how do I order a beer?
Zen
Zen

Back to top Go down

Post  Shortie Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Mia ee Beera parakalo, will do Zen.
Great idea this. I think learning a few basics, as Rab has set out is good. It's a difficult language to learn. There are 2 ways to learn a language, one is to pick it up by having to use it or being amongst those who speak it, the other is the learn the structure of the language, the grammar too. The problem is most Greek people over here speak good English therefore never want to speak Greek to you. they reckon the Albanians that have moved here learned the language within weeks of moving, but, I believe there are similarities in the structure of the languages and they had to learn it, as no Greeks speak Albanian. So, whichever route you take don't be disappointed if it takes a long time or if you find it difficult. It is.
I think though, that it is commendable to make an effort. If i can help with my limited knowledge I will.
A starter from me is to use words and phrases that remind you of the words you are trying to remember, for example
Efaristo. Pronounced effaristo. The o at the end is like the o in the word hot, and the tonos, or emphasis is on the letter o at the end, so this letter is the prominent letter.
The way I remember it is to say "a ferrets toe" and parakalo I say "parrots galore" seems strange but it works.
You all think I'm mad now, don't you.!!!! Mad
Shortie
Shortie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum